Morocco / Cities and Towns /
Town in Morocco with 15,000 inhabitants, situated in the south of the country, at the Atlantic Ocean.
The economic base of the town is fishing. The town square is still completely dominated by Spanish architecture, built from 1934 and onwards.
1476: Occupied by Spain.
1524: Recaptured by the Moroccan Saadien rulers.
1860: As part of the Treaty of Tangier, Sidi Ifni is back on Spanish hands.
1934: The Spanish take full possession of Sidi Ifni.
1950s: 60% of the population is Spanish.
1966: Negotiations between Spain and Morocco over the status of Sidi Ifni, starts.
1969: The Spanish leave Sidi Ifni, and the town and its surrounding area becomes part of Morocco.