The Portuguese town named Mazagan is the original urban settlement here. It was built here in order to defend trade vessels between Asia and Europe from coastal Moroccans waging what they called jihad, but which was nothing but blunt piracy. The Portuguese stayed here for more than 250 years, until 1769, and when the Muslim conquered it, they saw it fit to give it a new name. And so it very much was, El-Jadida is Arabic for "new".
Much of the old town has fallen in over years, and you have to look carefully to find spots that permit a glimpse back to times when this was a prosperous and busy place. Inside the town walls there are both churches, mosques and synagogues. As the mosque's minaret is a converted lighthouse, El-Jadida is claimed to home the world's only pentagonal minaret.
The top photo shows the main entrance to the old Portuguese town, where the highest tower to the right is of the Church of Assumption. The lower photo shows the Bastion St. Antione, where the town walls make a good refuge for street vendors.